Thursday, June 29, 2006

 

Help! Someone Shove Me Over the Edge

There are so many things I need and want to do buzzing around in my mind I'm not sure where to start.

I have a submittal ready to mail. But it has been there ready to put in an envelope for a couple of weeks and I just keep thinking about it and I don't touch it. I know all the things we say to writers who do this. I know the reasons to stick it in and drop it in the mail. Yet it is still here.

Am I hesitating because I'm leary of rejection? I don't think so. Do I really want to be a published author? In the worst way, I have longed to be published for so long, years. Do I like to write? I love it more than I can say.

What makes me stand in one spot instead of moving forward. It is something like writer's block. My mind is blank and I just can't see me packaging the submission and mailing it. I need to mail it to 10 or more publishers and I have a copy of Writers Digest so I have the addresses and I have the cards of 5 different publishers I met at National RWA conventions and asked me to send them the submission directly and one asked for the ms and I just sit and very positively say to myself, you are going to do this and be successful.

What kind of paralysis is this? I have a bundle of supporters although none offer to read any of my writing. They are mostly writers and I guess they don't like to read what I like. It is hard to read material that is not what you are drawn to. Seems like everyone is either crazy about paranormal, westerns, historicals or intrige. Mine is none of that. I like real life stories that make you smile, cry, laugh out loud, feel part of the story and become the heroine.

Am I just procrastinating, God knows I'm a pro at it. It is the one thing in my life I would like to change but there again I just don't get up and take that first step.

I am a strong willed woman and if I decide I am going to do something I usually do it, like going for a college degree at 40 and a masters at 65. So why when I want this so bad do I not just do it? Put it together and mail it.

I have found when I put something in writing I am more apt to do it. I'm off work from Sat thru Tue, maybe after putting this into words and writing it down I'll get up and do it while I'm off work.

As I think about what I've written , I think I sound a little (or lot) nuts.

See you next time
Jo
Comments:
Get it in the envelope, Jo.
Drive to the Post Office.
Mail it.

We have all been rejected. You might be in good company "if" you end up joining our ranks. And thats a big "if".

It only takes one editor to like you to get you published. There may be a dozen others that don't. So what? Those have bad literary taste anyway, so who would want to publish with them?

Get it going girl!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?