Tuesday, August 08, 2006

 

My Hot Pink Day

Today is a almost RED LETTER day. We will call it a HOT PINK day.

I, today, am a 4 1/2 year cancer suvivor. I had a lumpectomy done on Valentines Day in 2002. I was so lucky the cancer was so small it was still inside the tumor sac and had not gotten into the tissue around it at all.

It was so small my doctor could not detect it nor could the surgen who removed it. Only the mammogram showed that this years film did not look like the year before. The tech called she would not give up. She was like a bull dog holding on to the leg of your jeans. She told me I needed to redo the test and why. Look I said there is no cancer in my family and this has happened before and it was nothing. She said they would schedule the test for the next day. I finally agreed since she would not take No for an answer.

The next day she did the test and was not satified so she did it again. Then she said let's change rooms and use another machine. I didn't argue, I just follow her. She took another set and said to have a seat she would be back when the doctors looked at the film. Now a stack not one.

When the door opened this time the doctor was the one to come in. We just can't tell from the film so I want to do a sonogram. The tect will come get you and bring you in when I get everything ready. She left and I sat there tapping my foot thinking what a waste of time.

The tech came in and we went to the sonogram room and they did the test. The screen was beside me so I could see it. All of a sudden as she slid the computer-like mouse over a spot and a small peanut shaped place began to glow. It was very easy to see and the three doctors and the tech all said there it is. Marge (the tech) you know your stuff, there was something you saw. Good job. The tech had taken my hand when they started and held it the entire time. This is one time I wish I had been wrong.

The doctor told me she would do a biopisy on it in the next day. She thought I had had enough for one day.

The next day I reported in and they did the biopsy, three pieces they cut off the tumor to test. Then they took a tool that looked like a gun and shot a metal loop in beside the tumor so the doctor could find it if it was cancer.

That evening I was the MC for a Federally Employed Women's meeting and introduced our featured speaker "Merline Lovelace". She knew what had been going on with me and knew about the biopsy. She was overwhelmed I could possibably be there dressed to the nines and up before about 30 or 40 women as MC introducing her. To be honest I was just barely upright but I was there doing my thing.

The next part of this is part of a book I'm working on (off and on):

The phone on my desk rang on the intercon that transfered calls to the correct person.

"Jo"

"Is this Jo Smith?"

"Yes it is."

"Is this the Jo Smith that had the biopsy yesterday at Integris Hospital?"

"Yes it is."

"Jo this is Dr Dear( not her real name), I was calling about the results of the test."

Her voice almost cracked and I heard her take a deep shaky breath. Then almost to herself she said "Jo you don't know how bad I hate to make these calls, I really really hate it. The biopsy tested positive, it is cancer." Her voice went very low as she said it and I thought she was going to cry.

"Can you hold just a moment someone just walked up to my desk."

I told the man I was on the phone with the doctor and my desk mate ushered him out.

"Jo, are you at work? Oh my God, I thought this was your home phone. I had no idea you would be at work. Oh my God, are you alright? Is someone with you? I am so sorry, I would never have told you this if I had any idea you were not at home."

"It's ok, I'm ok and you didn't do anything wrong. I needed to know this as soon as possible."

"But Jo it's cancer."

"I know and now we just need to get started on a plan to get rid of it.

What do we need to do first and when?"

"Jo, I can't believe I just told you you had cancer and your the upbeat one comforting me and looking for a plan with no Why, Why or look back."


Well you know what is going on now and to find out how I got from there to here, if it gets published, you will have to buy the book and read it.

Good Night
Jo
Comments:
Big congratulations to you, girl.
 
Jo, I had no idea how close we were in our Pink journey. My lumpectomy was Sept. 25, 2001. I'll be five years out this Sept. We are undoubtedly sisters on this journey. Pink Power Rules!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?